No Bake Energy Bites
We’ll be the first to admit it. As fun as summer is, long hot days can be a bit tiring, and we all need a healthy pick-me-up from time to time.
Yet, we don’t want to spend the entire day inside the kitchen whipping something up.
Introducing the perfect solution: healthy and natural no-bake snack bites.
Consider them the Swiss army knife of snack foods. (Okay, perhaps a bit dramatic but these energy bites are undeniably versatile).
Incredibly easy to make, they are suitable for breakfast, as an afternoon pick-me-up, or even a desert. Their compact size and no-mess nature make them perfect for picnics in the park, trips to the museum, or long car rides.
And with school just around the corner (can you believe it?), ace the lunch packing woes and help keep the kiddos full and alert all day.
Deceptively full of the good stuff, even the pickiest of eaters will reach for these.
So, grab your little person and a mini apron and be prepared for their hands to get a bit goopy. What more could they ask for?
No-Bake Energy Bites
(shared from Gimme Some Oven)
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- 1 cup (dry) old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The best part about this recipe? It’s super adaptable! Swap peanut butter for almond butter or add in dried cranberries or cherries for an extra punch of fruit! The possibilities are endless.
HOW TO MAKE
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. When you get tired of mixing with a spoon, have your kids use their hands!
- Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, have the kids roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (About 1″ in diameter is a great size for little hands.)
* Store in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
* Makes about 20-25 balls.
What are some go to healthy recipes that your little ones love?